Exit site

Help claiming benefits and tax relief

Many people don’t know they can claim benefits, tax relief or other welfare assistance. We’d like to help you find out what you’re eligible for.

Government benefits and financial support

Depending on your circumstances you could be eligible for government benefits and financial support such as:

  • Pension credit
  • Universal credit
  • Child benefit
  • Housing benefit
  • Cost of Living Support
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Check what benefits and financial support you can get to help with your living costs.

Tax relief for job expenses due to coronavirus

If you worked from home due to coronavirus before 6 April 2022, you may be able to claim tax relief worth up to £280 for additional household costs. Check your eligibility for this type of tax relief.

Tax relief for other job expenses

Check if you can claim tax relief on money you’ve spent on things like a work uniform, tools and travel.

Income tax rebates

If you’re on the wrong income tax code and have made an overpayment, you’ll be owed a rebate. Learn more about income tax rebates.

Council tax

You could get up to a 100% reduction on your council tax bill if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. How much of a discount you get depends on:

  • your local council
  • your circumstances (for example, income or residency status)
  • your household income (includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income)
  • if your children or other adults live with you

Contact your local council to find out what support is available.

Local welfare assistance

Get in touch with your local council to see if they run a welfare assistance scheme, which could help provide furniture, white goods, fuel and food vouchers, and more.

Grant-giving funds (also known as charitable funds) are a form of financial help given to people in need that don’t have to be paid back. Use Turn2us’s online tool to search for grants available in your area.

Free school meals

Your child could get free school meals if you’re on benefits or a low income. Get in touch with your local council to check your child’s eligibility.

Help with the cost of school uniforms

Find out if your local council provides help with the cost of school uniforms and PE kits. If your council doesn’t offer help, it’s worth asking your child’s school if they do.

Other help with childcare

Find out what other benefits and financial support you could get to help with childcare costs.

Most NHS treatment is free, but sometimes you might need to pay for some things such as prescriptions or travel to your hospital appointment. Find out if you’re eligible for help with these health costs.