We’re committed to your safety and we take our responsibilities on gas safety seriously. As your landlord, by law we have to carry out an annual safety check on our gas fittings installed in your home. Find out more about your annual gas safety check.
Our duty as your landlord
As your landlord we’ll ensure:
- All installation, maintenance safety checks and annual gas servicing are carried out by a Gas Safe Registered installer
- A gas safety check and service is carried out on each relevant gas fitting/flue in your home every year. When you take up a new tenancy all gas appliances/flues will be checked before you move in
- We will keep a record of each annual safety check and service
- We will give you a copy of the Landlord’s Gas Safety Record for your home on completion of the safety check.
Your duty as a tenant
As a tenant, you should:
- Allow us prompt access to your home to carry out maintenance or safety checks on our gas fittings / flues
- Ensure any gas fittings which you own, including your gas cooker, are installed correctly and are checked annually for safety and servicing
- Always contact us before making any alterations to your home, no matter how minor
- Never tamper with the gas main
- For your safety, always use a qualified Gas Safe Registered installer to carry out any gas work in your home
- Comply with your tenancy and give reasonable access to your home for your annual safety check to protect you, your family and your neighbours.
Gas danger signs
Contact us immediately if you notice:
- Sooting or staining marks on or around the appliance
- A yellow or orange lazy flame – not crisp and blue
- More condensation than normal in the room where the appliance is installed
- Anyone in your household suffering from drowsiness, headaches, nausea or pains in the chest when using a gas appliance.
If you notice any of these signs, turn off the appliance immediately and report it to the Yorkshire Housing gas team 0113 825 6500.
Gas safety tips
By allowing us prompt access to your home and by following these tips you can ensure the safety of your gas appliances:
- Never try DIY with gas
- Make sure you know where your gas meter is located and how to turn off the gas in the event of an emergency
- Don’t block up air ventilation grilles and ensure flue terminals are kept clear at all times
- Never use a gas appliance if you think it’s not working properly
- Never cover gas appliances
- Be cautious if buying second hand gas appliances – don’t scrimp on safety
- If for any reason you have to move from your existing bedroom to your living room, please contact the Yorkshire Housing gas team 0113 825 6500 for advice.
If you think you can smell gas
- Turn off the gas at the meter
- Open windows
- Put out naked flames
- Don’t use electrical switches
- Call the national grid gas emergency centre on 0800 111999
Annual gas safety check
Find out more about your annual gas safety check.