Close search

Support for disabled customers


Disabilities shouldn’t get in the way of you enjoying your home or using our services. Even small changes, such as sending large print letters, or knocking louder when we visit your home can make a difference.

Our reasonable adjustments guide explains more about the support we can offer. We make different adjustments for each person so we can help in the best way.


Home adaptations


If you’re having difficulty getting into or around your around your home, we may be able to help by carrying out minor adaptations.

We can add fixtures and fittings to help make your home more suitable. This could include:

  • an extra hand rail on your staircase to help you get up and down the stairs
  • grab rails in your bathroom or toilet
  • an extra step and grab rail at your front door
  • new tap handles if yours are difficult to turn
  • more lighting if your sight is failing
  • lowering cupboards and worktops

To help us decide what kind of help you need, we will ask you to fill in a self-assessment form. This asks you to describe the problems you are experiencing and what would help you. If only minor adaptations (like those listed above) are needed we will aim to carry out this work within 28 days. After the work has been finished we will contact you to find out if these adaptations have made your life easier.

In some situations, we may need a more detailed assessment. If this is the case, we will ask you to contact the Social Services department of your local council and ask for an Occupational Therapist assessment.

The Occupational Therapist will arrange to visit your home and advise you on the best way of adapting it to meet your needs. They can also provide equipment that can help you, which we would not be able to provide.

Frequently asked questions

If you have any questions about adaptations that are not answered below, please use the contact form underneath.

Who pays for any adaptation work?
We will pay the cost of any minor adaptations. If you need major adaptations such as installing a stair lift or making bathroom alterations, and it is likely to cost more than £1,000, we will talk to you about applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant. These grants are available from your local council.

To qualify for a grant, an occupational therapist will carry out a full assessment with you to decide what may be required. Each council will have a waiting list of people needing grants.

We aim to work in partnership with local councils to make sure you get the help you need. If it is likely that you will have to wait more then 12 months to have the work done, we will consider paying for this work instead.

What other options do I have for adaptation work?
The process of applying for a grant and being assessed can take some time. There are a number of factors to consider such as whether your home can be successfully adapted.

Moving home might be a better option as we may have a more suitable property for you. Your local council will also have a register of housing suitable for people with disabilities or properties that can be more easily adapted.

If your home is to be included in our improvement programme within a year we may carry out the work as part of this programme. We also build new homes for people with disabilities and this might be an option, particularly for a family.

Where can I get more information about adaptations?
If you would like to find out more about home adaptations you can speak to your neighbourhood officer or:


Are you looking to report an everyday repair? Report repairs online.

Independent living service

We can support and provide help in your home so that you can stay safe and independent.

Home Improvement Agencies (HIAs)

Our HIAs make a positive difference to quality of life for older, disabled, vulnerable or ill people living at home.