We’re back with another health and safety blog and this time, we’re talking about slips, trips and falls. Whether it’s at home or at work, falls are an everyday risk. And, they can happen to any of us.
It’s true, the risk of falling does grow as you get older. But falls are dangerous for us all and can really impact your quality of life. Falls can also affect your confidence when it comes to getting up and about. Sometimes this can make you feel like not leaving the house and this really isn’t good for your wellbeing. That’s why it’s so important to do what you can to stop slips, trips and falls in the first place.
What you can do
Luckily there are things you can do to lower your risk of having a fall at home. Here’s my list of top tips and simple ways to help you stay safe at home:
- Avoid clutter on the floor, especially near stairs and doorways
- Keep an eye on pets – it’s easy for them to get under your feet!
- Keep electrical cables tidy and don’t stretch them across the floor or kitchen surfaces
- Make sure floor coverings stay in place, e.g. rugs on slippery floors are one to watch
- If you struggle with mobility, make sure your home is well lit and leave a light on at night in case you need to get up
- Stay on top of home maintenance and if you spot a problem, tell Yorkshire Housing about it ASAP
Name: David Perry
About: He’s a Yorkshire Housing customer and also Yorkshire Housing’s Health and Safety Ambassador
Loves: Match fishing
Interesting fact: Whilst he was in the RAF, he was stationed with the NASA crews that recovered the early space shots from the ocean
How YH can help
Homes are full of potential fall hazards so making sure your home is in good shape is key. That’s where Yorkshire Housing come in.
If there’s something broken or not working properly in your home, let them know. They’re here to help and fix or replace anything that needs it. Don’t forget – tell them as soon as you notice a problem rather than waiting until an accident happens.
If you need to report a repair, you can:
- Use your online account
- Report a repair on our Repairs page
- Or, if you live in one of our Independent Living Schemes, you can report it to your scheme manager
If you’re finding getting into and around your home hard, Yorkshire Housing offers home adaptations. They can add things like hand and grab rails, extra steps and more lighting in your home. They also run a scheme called Help at hand for customers who need a bit of extra help on more of a day-to-day basis, find out more here.