Close search

Misuse of public areas

What is a misuse of public area?

There are a variety of areas that you share with your neighbours and those areas are expected to be used in a certain way. Examples of a misuse of a public area could be if they are used for alcohol, drug abuse, joy-riding or fly-tipping. Untidy gardens can also be a misuse of public areas.

What can you do?

Discuss your concerns with your neighbours first as they may appreciate and respond better to this than hearing about it from their landlord. However, if this does not work, report the issues to Yorkshire Housing. Some antisocial behaviour is the responsibility of your local council, so you may also need to discuss this with them.

What can Yorkshire Housing do?

It is up to the neighbourhood officer to decide whether it is antisocial behaviour or not based on whether the tenancy agreement has been breached. Your neighbourhood officer will carry out a thorough and prompt investigation of your complaint and will keep you fully informed of his or her findings.

Some or all of the following steps will be taken depending on the extent of the problem:

  • Issuing a warning
  • Involvement of mediation or Restorative Justice for both parties
  • Removing items from the area
  • Issuing CCTV equipment
  • Issuing physical security measures such as extra locks and security lights
  • Written warnings to perpetrator
  • Injunction (county court order) against perpetrator
  • Eviction proceedings

Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Report antisocial behaviour

If you or your neighbours are suffering from any of the issues described – we want to know. Report antisocial behaviour online or call 0345 366 4404.

Our promise

We believe that everyone has the right to enjoy their home, free from nuisance or antisocial behaviour. Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Success stories

Read some of our antisocial behaviour success case studies.