Close search

Noise nuisance

What is noise nuisance?

Noise from neighbours is a common source of disturbance and it can be very upsetting. The main problems are caused by barking dogs; loud music or TV; shouting, banging doors and DIY activities. Remember, no home is totally soundproof so everyone can expect a degree of noise from neighbours.

If you are being disturbed it may be because:

  • The neighbours are behaving unreasonably, for example, playing loud music late at night or allowing their dog to bark all day
  • The neighbours are behaving normally. But the sound insulation in the floors and walls may not be good enough to cut out the sounds of everyday living
  • You may have become over sensitive to the noise. Some people tune in to the noise from next door and find it annoying while others would not.

What can you do?

Firstly, approach your neighbour and explain politely that you are troubled by the noise. Although you may find this difficult it is surprising how often neighbours are unaware of the disturbance they are causing. Most will be glad to do what they can to reduce the noise. If your neighbour continues to cause a disturbance you may wish to report this to Yorkshire Housing for our help in resolving the problems.

What can Yorkshire Housing do?

Noise nuisance will be assessed on a case by case basis and we will consider the following:

  • The time of the noise (noise can be a nuisance at any time of day or night)
  • The duration of the noise
  • The frequency of the noise
  • The type of noise (e.g. swearing, abusive language)
  • The level (loudness) of noise.

Your neighbourhood officer makes the decision on whether noise is a nuisance and a tenancy breach. Case law requires us to act as an ‘ordinary reasonable person’ when reaching the decision on a case by case basis. We cannot take in to account those who have a ‘higher expectation’ of quiet such as shift workers or people who are studying or who are ill.

Some or all of the following steps will be taken depending on the extent of the problem:

  • Issuing a sound recorder (with time & date) to record incidents as evidence
  • Involvement of mediation or Restorative Justice for both parties
  • Written warnings to perpetrator
  • Injunction (county court order) against perpetrator
  • Local Authority Noise Abatement Notice
  • Eviction proceedings

Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Report antisocial behaviour

If you or your neighbours are suffering from any of the issues described – we want to know. Report antisocial behaviour online or call 0345 366 4404.

Our promise

We believe that everyone has the right to enjoy their home, free from nuisance or antisocial behaviour. Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Success stories

Read some of our antisocial behaviour success case studies.