Tis the season to be jolly… So make sure you keep your home safe from fire this festive season, by following these top tips.
- Check your Christmas tree lights meet the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (a safety device that can save lives by instantly switching off the power).
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Don’t leave them burning unattended.
- Make sure your family and visitors staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency. Practice a fire escape plan.
- Decorations can burn easily – Don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they’re designed to stay on. Take special care with Christmas lights. Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before you go to bed.
- Celebrate Christmas and New Year safely. The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after drinking alcohol.
- Most fires start in the kitchen – never leave cooking unattended.
- If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions and never go back to a lit firework. Keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Make sure cigarettes are completely put out before you go to bed.
- Check the battery in your smoke alarm every week and use Christmas as a reminder to clean it and remove dust.
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of reach of children.
- Take the time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this festive season – make sure they are fire safe.
You can report any health and safety concern to us by completing the online form.