Close search


What is violence as antisocial behaviour?

Violence in any form can be very distressing and can have psychological and physical effects. This includes the threat of violence or any kind of intimidating behaviour. Examples include stone-throwing, hitting, kicking, verbal abuse, swearing and making verbal threats.

What can you do?

Most problems are best solved by discussing your concerns with the person or people involved. However, if you are scared or feel threatened by their behaviour, do not put yourself in potential danger and contact Yorkshire Housing to report the problem. Violence is a criminal offence so it may also be necessary for you to inform the police. It is important once you have reported the antisocial behaviour that you co-operate with our investigations.

What can Yorkshire Housing do?

We take all reports of violence seriously and take a victim-centred approach to investigation. We deal with the victim as discreetly as possible, keeping all information confidential.

Violence can be reported by victims or witnesses, family, friends, Yorkshire Housing staff, and other third parties that may be involved. Yorkshire Housing may also look to involve third parties to provide support, such as the police.

It is up to the neighbourhood officer to decide whether it is antisocial behaviour or not based on whether the tenancy agreement has been breached. Your neighbourhood officer will carry out a thorough and prompt investigation of your complaint and will keep you fully informed of his or her findings.

Some or all of the following steps will be taken depending on the extent of the problem:

  • Issuing a warning
  • Involvement of mediation or Restorative Justice for both parties
  • Issuing CCTV equipment
  • Issuing physical security measures such as extra locks and security lights
  • Written warnings to perpetrator
  • Injunction (county court order) against perpetrator
  • Eviction proceedings
  • Involvement of the police
  • Provide emergency accommodation

Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Report antisocial behaviour

If you or your neighbours are suffering from any of the issues described – we want to know. Report antisocial behaviour online or call 0345 366 4404.

Our promise

We believe that everyone has the right to enjoy their home, free from nuisance or antisocial behaviour. Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Success stories

Read some of our antisocial behaviour success case studies.