Close search

Domestic violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members. It is not limited to just women, but also men and family members.

What can you do?

Tell somebody. Domestic violence can come in many different forms and often involves power and control. If you are suffering domestic abuse you should tell someone as soon as possible. You should report it to Yorkshire Housing so that we can look at the options available to you. You should also report it to the police as domestic violence is a criminal offence. There are a number of charities set up to help those suffering from domestic violence:

  • Refuge
  • Women’s Aid
  • National Domestic Violence helpline

What can Yorkshire Housing do?

We take all reports of domestic violence seriously and will take a victim-centred approach to their investigation. We will deal with the victim as discreetly as possible, keeping all information confidential. Domestic violence can be reported by victims or witnesses, family, friends, Yorkshire Housing staff, and other third parties that may be involved. Yorkshire Housing may also look to involve third parties to provide support, such as charities or the police.

It is up to your tenancy management officer to decide whether it is antisocial behaviour or not based on whether the tenancy agreement has been breached. Your tenancy management officer will carry out a thorough and prompt investigation of your complaint and will keep you fully informed of his or her findings.

Some or all of the following steps will be taken depending on the extent of the problem:

  • Issuing a warning
  • Involvement of mediation or Restorative Justice for both parties
  • Issuing CCTV equipment
  • Issuing physical security measures such as extra locks and security lights
  • Written warnings to perpetrator
  • Injunction (county court order) against perpetrator
  • Eviction proceedings
  • Involvement of the Police
  • Provide emergency accommodation

Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Report antisocial behaviour

If you or your neighbours are suffering from any of the issues described – we want to know. Report antisocial behaviour online or call 0345 366 4404.

Our promise

We believe that everyone has the right to enjoy their home, free from nuisance or antisocial behaviour. Find out more about how Yorkshire Housing deals with antisocial behaviour.

Success stories

Read some of our antisocial behaviour success case studies.