We are a not-for-profit home improvement agency operated by Yorkshire Housing Foundation in partnership with Barnsley Council, Social Services and Supporting People funding program and Strategic Housing Regulatory Services.
- Department of Communities and Local Government
- Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Barnsley Primary Care Trust
What does Barnsley Stay Put do?
We operate in the Barnsley area, providing independent advice on repairs, improvements and adaptations for clients, particularly those aged over 60 or disabled people of any age.
Help & Support
The service Barnsley Stay Put offers includes help with:
- Applying for local authority grants.
- Releasing money tied up in the value of your home.
- Access to charitable funding.
- Filling in forms
- Identifying benefits for which you may be eligible.
Our staff can visit you at home to discuss what your options are.
Barnsley Stay Put offers a number of services to help you keep your home in good repair:
- Telephone advisory service
for advice on general and particular problems and issues
- Energy efficiency
advice on possible grant and discount schemes
- Contractors list
advice and information on employing builders is available. We have a list of vetted builders and contractors available.
We can get estimates for you and oversee the work to ensure it is carried out to a high standard and is good value for money.
Our Handyperson service can assist with small repairs and other tasks to enable you to live safely and comfortably within your own home. The service is for home owners and private tenants, particularly those aged over 60 or disabled people of any age.
We charge a fixed rate for individual jobs and provide you with a competitive quotation that covers service and material costs which is subsidised by the local authority if you receive income based benefits. Access to the Safe Trader scheme (a list of preferred contractors so that you can avoid rogue traders) and advise and information is free. We can also help if you do not qualify for a subsidised service.
Examples of the type of work our Handypersons can do:
- Change light bulbs
- Fit door bells
- Secure loose carpets or rugs around the home (but not fit carpet)
- Supply and fit replacement door locks
- Supply and fit Key safes
- Painting and decorating up to one room a year
- Provide and fit plastic and metal grab rails
- Provide and fit mop stick handrails
- Provide and fit external handrails
- We may also consider small gardening and decorating jobs
These are only examples, no matter the work you need, always feel free to ask. If we can not help we may be able to suggest some one who can.
Unfortunately we can not do:
- Any gas works
- Any electrical work
- Any jobs at height
- Repair white goods
- Large outdoor repair jobs
- Moving heavy furniture
Contact Barnsley Stay Put
Barnsley Stay Put
300 Barrow Road,
Telephone: 0845 607 6438
Fax: 01709 891161